How Civic protects you
We will keep your accounts and information secure at all times. That’s our commitment to you.
We use complex technology with multi-layered security controls to protect you at every account access point.
Here is an overview of the steps we take to ensure your accounts remain secure.
Secure Online Banking
When you use the Civic portal for online banking, your user identity is confirmed at log in.
Here’s how this happens:
- We require you to create a unique user ID and password that uses a combination of letters and numbers to log into your accounts.
- We may also ask a series of security questions. You provided answers to these questions when you joined Civic Federal Credit Union.
- We store computer or mobile device identifiers that come to us naturally when you access our site. We use this data for additional authentication.
- We also allow you to set up one-time passwords (codes sent via SMS to your mobile device) for high-risk transactions.
- We use encryption technology*
- Sessions automatically time out due to inactivity**
*All online sessions are encrypted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL)/Transport Layer Security (TLS) technology. Whether browsing through pages on our website or logging in online, you'll see "https" and a closed padlock icon on your browser window. This means your web traffic is encrypted. But you should ensure you're viewing the page you intended to visit.
**No matter what device you're using, your session will automatically time out after a set period of inactivity or if you forget to log off. This way no one can make unauthorized transactions in your account. You can be sure we're protecting you even when you're not thinking about it.
Information sent to your smartphone
For added security, we can send alerts and notifications about your account to your smartphone. An important note: your account numbers are never included on text messages or notifications sent to you from us.
The Credit Union uses a combination of internal and external methods to detect and combat account fraud. Your online and card transactions are monitored in real-time, and web logs are reviewed daily. In addition, Civic takes the following steps to proactively monitor for fraud:
- Use multiple firewalls, anti-virus, anti-phishing, anti-Trojan systems, and intrusion detection and prevention systems
- Perform regular independent, external audits
- Use third-party vulnerability testing on our systems and network
- Work to bring down fraudulent sites
- Constantly monitor fraudulent networks that try to obtain card and credential information, then make available for sale in underground markets
With these efforts, you can be sure your accounts are safe. Our security measures constantly evolve to combat the latest threats. We are committed to providing you with security using the latest technology for 24 hours a day, seven days a week.